Monday, April 7, 2008

We're a Bear Cub Family...

I cannot wait for spring break! Even though it will be more work with the kids home all day, we won't have a list of things to do and places to go. Yes, I know. We're off to Burlington for half of it. But Chris will be there and it's a different place. I can handle the sibling rivalry and getting out of the door in new surroundings. I might need a glass of wine or two.

Chris has been up until 2am most nights this past week, getting the video ready for Nolan's class presentation and then another one for the Blue and Gold Dinner for Cub Scouts. He's been stressed and tired, but they came out great. Friday night I went to get groceries because it was getting to look like Ol' Mother Hubbard's cupboards over here (I did buy Chester a bone). Saturday, Nolan had his first Communion retreat. I was excited about it because I was in charge of the bread making station and finally, it was something Nolan and I could do together. Having 2 boys, sometimes I feel left out when it comes to activities. Chris can be the den leader or the coach but I cramp Nolan's style if I am. So church I can handle. Nolan did not share my enthusiasm. He had a rough start because he wanted no part in making bread. I'm trying to show the kids about how to knead and why we eat bread in church and Nolan is stomping his feet and sighing heavily. Ugh! We moved on to a scavenger hunt in the church and things improved. When it came time to practice, he wouldn't have any part of drinking the wine. We'll see if he does it on the big day.

I spent Saturday afternoon shopping while Chris held down the fort and Nolan had a friend over. That night, Chris went to a reception with the communications department from SUNY Plattsburgh. He said it was fun and he liked seeing some old friends. We slept in Sunday and went to a later mass. Nolan was off to another friend's house. Last night was the Blue and Gold Dinner. It was at the Hibernian Hall and it was really nice and fun. The kids sat at their own table and the parents sat at another. Thomas thought that was the best thing ever, sitting with all the big kids while they laughed at his every move. He was in heaven. The food was good and all the kids did skits--it was cute. Then Nolan walked across the little bridge and went from Wolf Cub to Bear Cub. He was, again, really proud of himself and all of us were too. Chris handed out the awards with Thomas' help. Cub Scouts seems to be a real family commitment for us, and it's fun. We all went home and happily went to sleep.

This week will be filled with getting ready for Thomas' birthday. 3 more days! And tomorrow, Thomas gets to practice riding the bus for kindergarten in the fall. They are just getting so big so fast!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Nolan!! We would love to see your video...maybe we can watch it Thursday night at Gaba's house...I can't wait to see you all.
    Love,
    ME

    ReplyDelete