Friday, September 12, 2008

Coffee at noon-scandalous!

I'm having coffee with a friend at lunchtime today, and I can't get over it! I've always had my days so busy with the kids that I almost feel guilty taking an hour for coffee. What I'm finding, though, is our after school and evening times are filling with activities. So if I don't grab an hour here and there once in a while, I'm a crazed woman at 9:30 (when I finally got home last night). Nobody wants that! It really is true that if Mama is happy, everyone is happy!

Everyone is really happy in school. Thomas LOVES his teacher and even helped a new friend get on the bus who was having a hard time. He has show n' tell today. This is funny. His teacher is teaching them to do whole body listening in class. So he was getting reprimanded at home because he wasn't listening to me over something, so I told him he had to do whole body listening at home too. He said, "I didn't know you wanted me to do that!". I teach him until I'm blue in the face, but one word from his new teacher and he's got it! :)

Nolan also seems to like school, although he's completely unhappy about the homework. He's got a lot more of it and there's more thinking involved. If he wouldn't complain so much, he would probably be done in 30-40 minutes. But it takes him an hour because of the bellyaching. I'm hoping he'll get used to it and just push through it. If anyone has any ideas in how to make doing homework more fun, I'll all ears! Otherwise, he's making some new friends and it sounds like his teacher is doing a lot of things in class to make learning fun. He's going home with a new friend on the bus today, so Thomas will have to come home alone. Hopefully that will go well!

So we're slowly getting into the school routine. Saturday is my birthday and I plan to spend it shopping with my birthday money (Thanks Mom and Dad!). This is the coolest present, because I get time to myself and money that is all mine!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...time alone to shop for YOURSELF with your own money? Priceless. Enjoy and Happy Early Birthday. That, in my opinion, is the best birthday present. I have to remind myself sometimes that mommies need time to make themselves happy too (so go enjoy a guilt-free cup of coffee too!).

    Maggie "bellyaches" too. One tip I have is for the reading that Nolan may have to do.

    Maggie has to read 15-20 minutes a day. So I pull out a book and read along with her. She really likes that along the lines of "misery loves company", except that I love to read, haha. It has cut the complaining in half as far as the reading goes. Hope that helps.

    Sounds like Thomas is doing great! Isn't it funny (ironic) how you try to engrain a behavior in them for years and a teacher is able to do it in one day? :)

    ReplyDelete