Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fun in the yard

The boys and I have spent a lot of our summer playing at home. I've been playing in the garden.








Green peppers and 1 lone cucumber plant with no cucumbers yet. Corn and zucchini. My sad attempt at a scarecrow has been successful in keeping the rabbits and birds away! I have some little cobs and zucchini. The peas already finished and weren't very plentiful. The basil and lavender I have in the front yard are doing well, and my new perennial bed is looking awesome! The coreopsis just started blooming. What pleases me most with the perennial bed is that I grew most everything from seed. Other plants in there were gifts. The whole garden cost me about $5.00 to do. Most people spend more on that with just one plant! So I'm proving you don't need a lot of money to garden. I'm thinking of filling in the sandbox next year with dirt and expanding my veggies. Although it is a little sad that the boys have outgrown it.

The boys have come up with all sorts of creative things to do at home. We've rigged a hose on the slide to make a cool and fast slide. Thomas did that with his friend Leo yesterday and it was hard to get a picture...they went so fast! And they've re-discovered their skateboards. In the photo, Thomas is pretending to be a bowling ball!








They have both had some friends over, Thomas more than Nolan. When I asked Nolan if he wanted a friend over, he said, "No, I'm not a people person." I thought that was the funniest thing, the way he said it! But he is a quieter person than Thomas. He seems to have just a few friends that mean a lot to him, as opposed to Thomas who seems to know everyone. But what's been great this summer is that they really enjoy playing with each other. Of course there's the fighting too, but mostly they love to be goofy and play together. It's great.

So camp ends this week and then we're off to Moira and the Franklin County Fair. We're hoping to go to the Newcomb Interpretive Center on the way there to check it out. We'll be using our new GPS to find the place, thanks to mom and dad! I will never get lost again!




No comments:

Post a Comment