Sunday, May 17, 2009

Staking a tree












Pic#1 The cutest chipmunk taking a snooze on the stump at my neighbor's house.
Pic#2 Nolan marching in the Niska Day parade with Cub Scouts.
Pic#3 Thomas' adoring fans.

Forgive me for getting a little deep here. Have you ever noticed that some people put bands and stakes around trees they have newly planted? I think they are trying to protect the tree and let it get strong against the wind. Of course, eventually they have to take the bands off and let it stand on its own, against the wind and storms. Do you think the tree has a hard time once the stakes are removed? Some people don't use these stakes. They plant the sapling and let it withstand whatever comes. I think they must believe that this too makes the tree strong, rather than protecting it. They let the tree experience life as it is, hoping for the best.

I think parenting is like this. Some people protect their children and shelter them from certain things in life. Others just try to teach them right, put them out there and hope for the best. In both cases, I think parents are just trying to do their best. But I wonder if sheltering them in the beginning from things that happen in life is really helping them in the long run. What happens when the realities of life happen and there is no protection? It's hard to teach your children, let go and then simply have faith in them. But I'm thinking no stakes is better. I hope I can be that kind of parent...and gardener.

2 comments:

  1. The stakes are to keep the tree upright until the roots take hold so it can support itself and keep the tree grounded-where you put it, straight and true. But if you forget to take the stakes down, the tree will be choked by the banding.
    I think that translates to parenting too. But, as I'm regularly reminded of when wanting to give my opinion about my nieces, I'm not a father. Well, except the Golden Retriever-but she always makes me look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being a doggy-daddy counts. My dog is sometimes worse than my kids!

    ReplyDelete